Severe Weather & Cancellation
DISCLAIMER: While the Club can take decisions in its recreational levels (house league) regarding the cancellation of play, the policy is are not a substitute for the responsibility of parents and individual members to take any decision they see fit regarding their own or their child’s safety in any Club related activity. If you feel conditions aren’t safe for you or your child, for whatever reason, the Club supports your decision not to participate in a Club related activity. Introduction
This policy governs weather related decisions for the Ottawa City Soccer Club (OCSC or the Club) for the outdoor spring and summer seasons for its Recreational Development Program (RDP) and Representative Competitive Programs (Rep).
- OCSC follows the OS and CSA’s policy on Severe Weather.
- In the event of severe weather at RDP games or practices, decisions to cancel the session shall be made at the field by the referee or, in the case where there is no referee present, by the coach in-charge.
- The City of Ottawa may close sports fields if recent weather conditions render fields unplayable or susceptible to damage. In this case OCSC will cancel all games and practices until City fields re-open. Turf fields will not be affected by City of Ottawa field closures. Notice of City sports field cancellations will be posted on the Club’s website, Facebook page and Twitter. In addition, members will be advised of closures by email.
- Teams playing in the Ottawa Carleton Soccer League (OCSL) and Eastern Region Soccer League (ERSL) are governed by those leagues. It is the referee’s responsibility to cancel or suspend play due to severe weather at the field in accordance with the OSA policy. The OSCL and ERSL follow the OSA’s policy (see 2 above) when the heat index is high and will allow for increased water breaks and player substitution.
- Notwithstanding the above, all parents are responsible for the health and well being of their children and are free to decide if conditions are safe for their children to participate. The Club supports parents’ decisions not to participate in a Club related activity due to weather concerns.